A group of 18 Early 20th Century Blue Glass Milk of Magnesia Pharmacy Bottle
During the 19th century the pharmacy or apothecary was part of the main hub of every town or village. As this was before the National Health Service, the people would rely on their local chemist for advice, and, if they were lucky enough to afford a doctor, their prescriptions.
Medicines were generally stored in glass bottles or jars, these came in various colours of glass.
Here we have a group of blue glass milk of magnesia bottles, available in two sizes.
Milk of magnesia was invented by Mr Charles H Phillips, an English man living in America. Hence the details on the bottles about the US patent. This particular model was made in 1928.
The bottles have no cracks or chips but some have a little clouding due to the reaction of the liquid on the glass, for display purposes, if you fill any cloudy glass vessel with water the glass becomes clear.
Larger bottle 12.5cm high
Smaller bottle9 cm high