A Group of 4 Large Stoneware Jugs
In the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century all taverns or public houses would have "off sales" these were items that could be purchased from the pub but consumed off the premises. This would mostly be stone bottles of beer ( often Botanical) and soft drinks, and later in time glass bottles of the same.
This a group of 4 stone ware jugs, that would have been purchased from either the "off sales " of a local ale house or pub, or if filled with soft drinks could be bought from a general store.
Small brewerys have been using botanicals to brew beer for decades if not centurys, Initially beer would be brewed with barley which was very sweet, so the brewers would experiment with flowers, herbs and roots to add some bitterness to the beer. So many small companys were popping up all over europe making there beers and non alcoholic drinks to their own recipes, using stone jars it was a great way to advertise your product on the jars.All of these jars were refillable so there was no problem of the jar finding its way home with the name clearly marked on the bottle. The purchaser would have to pay a very small deposit on each bottle redeemable when the bottle was returned.
We have a bottle from G. Sykes and sons of Sunderland with details of how to store on the front.
The next bottle is from W.P Stafford of Denton and is dated 1927
J.H Jones dated 1929 details of proceution of it was not returned to the brewery when empty.
And lastly Wrigley Bros Botanical brewers.
All bottles are in very good condition with no cracks or chips
Average dimensions: 28cm high x 14cm diameter